Thursday, September 20, 2012

Value Portraits




1. Explain the process you went through to develop your drawing.
First I traced the darkest parts of the picture onto tracing paper. Then I heavily colored the back of the tracing paper and layed it down on my sketch book. Then I retraced the lines I had done earlier and it appeared on my sketch book. Then i filled in where i missed a couple of important details. Then I started to shade the picture using the mini value chart I had.

2. Explain how you found the different values in the portrait?
I held up my mini value chart to the photo and matched the shades of the picture to the shades of the value chart. I made sure to use all 9 values that I was given. This was very easy to do because there was so many shades in just the hair alone.
3.  Did you achieve a full range of the different values within your portrait?  How?

I thought that I did a pretty good job of using the full range of values. It was a little difficult to get a white value because nothing in the photo was truly white. But once I made the eyes darker then the cheek bones which were supposed to have a white value looked more realistic not like a 2-dimensional face.

4. Describe your craftsmanship.  Is the artwork executed and crafted neatly?

I think that I could have made the definitions of his mouth a little more clearly but in the end it turned out fine. There were also a lot of smudges because of the side of my hand. I dont know how to prevent this but i will try to not do it as much.

5. List any obstacles you had to overcome and how you dealt with them.

I did not like the project to begin with because I didnt get to draw myself so from the start I wasn't passionate about it. I have realized my art is better when I care for the project. Also I kept getting frustrated at how long it took and that there was no color. i do not like black and white art.

No comments:

Post a Comment